- This event has passed.
24th September 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM BST
The South College Street building is currently home to Edinburgh Futures Institute and the Data Driven Innovation (DDI) initiative. However, prior to becoming a place of study and work, for nearly 200 years it was a site of worship and, before that, a bowling green.
Come and find out more about the history of the site and its various activities since 1742 – several of which have been ‘firsts’ for Edinburgh! There will be displays, presentations and a self-guided tour.
During the self-led tour, you will learn about the building’s history, and the activities that currently happen here – in particular, the work of Edinburgh Futures Institute and Data Driven Innovations. Throughout the building, you will discover 21 labelled stops that all together tell a diverse story of the building. Try to find all the stops while you wander around!
Throughout the day we will also host a series of lightning talks in the Newhaven Lecture Theatre on the 3rd floor, during which you can learn more about Edinburgh Futures Institute and city region Data Driven Innovation programme, as well as about the history of Relief Churches in Edinburgh.
Visitors will have a chance to find out about the building’s history and how the successive changes in the churches based in South College Street have been linked with the changes and disagreements which affected the 18th and 19th century church in Scotland. Information about the University’s projects currently based in the building and the Edinburgh & South East Scotland City Region Deal will also be available. Visitors will also be able to find out more about the Edinburgh Futures Institute’s plans for the former Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh site on Lauriston Place.
This event is unticketed, the running order of the day can be found below:
- 12:00 Showreel – Short films and animations from University of Edinburgh teams based in the building.
- 12:30 City Region Deal – Celebrating 5 years of the City Region Deal for Edinburgh & South East Scotland. We share progress and projects that are already making a real impact in our region.
- 12:45 Data-Driven Innovation – Hear all about this innovation network helping organisations tackle challenges for industry and society, by doing data right and supporting Edinburgh to become the data capital of Europe.
- 1:00 History of Relief Churches in Edinburgh – Dr Alasdair Raffe, Senior Lecturer in the School of History, Classics and Archaeology will speak about this fascinating aspect of church history in Edinburgh
- 1:30 Recycling a Hospital – As the former Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh transitions to a new life as the Edinburgh Futures Institute, Dr Jimmy Turner shares a project which is giving old materials new life and contributing to the physical and symbolic transformation of the building, ensuring the memories of those connected with the building are not forgotten.
- 1:45 Showreel – Short films and animations from University of Edinburgh teams based in the building.
- 2:00 History of Relief Churches in Edinburgh – Dr Alasdair Raffe, Senior Lecturer in the School of History, Classics and Archaeology will speak about this fascinating aspect of church history in Edinburgh.
- 2:20 Edinburgh Futures Institute: Past, Present and Future – Join EFI’s Director of Culture & Community for a short talk on the history of the former Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and the redevelopment project that is breathing life into this beloved Edinburgh building to create the Edinburgh Futures Institute.
- 2.40 Scottish Stained Glass Trust – We welcome members of the Scottish Stained Glass Trust which is dedicated to the art of stained glass in all forms. Hear about their work to record inventories of stained glass and the creation of an online database of stained glass in Scotland.
- 3:00 Showreel – Short films and animations from University of Edinburgh teams based in the building.
Blog listing on South College Street project and history by Gintare Kulyte: https://blogs.ed.ac.uk/southcollegestreet/
University of Edinburgh Doors Open Day: https://www.ed.ac.uk/local/news/doors-open-day-2023-dod
Edinburgh Doors Open Day: https://www.doorsopendays.org.uk/places/?area=7511