EFI Research Awards 2019
Applications are now open for the Edinburgh Futures Institute 2019 Research Awards.
Funding of up to £5,000 will be made to staff from across the University to support research which identifies new interdisciplinary questions that can be taken forward as part of the Institute’s vision.
The Edinburgh Futures Institute will pioneer new interdisciplinary research with the potential of transforming people’s lives, weaving data science through the arts, humanities and social sciences to address major challenges in the economy, education and society.
The deadline for research awards applications is 22 March 2019.
Up to five awards will be granted funding.
Criteria and application process
Applications are open to all University of Edinburgh staff. The application form asks you three basic questions:
- To explain what your research question is and why this interdisciplinary question is important e.g. offers new theoretical insights that challenge conventional wisdom; applies novel theory and methods in fresh contexts.
- To identify how your question can be taken forward as part of EFI’s research vision.
- To highlight how you will work with other parties (e.g. governments, organisations, universities, communities, individuals, businesses) to develop answers to the proposed question.
Entries will be sifted by an interdisciplinary judging panel chaired by Owen Kelly, Deputy Director of the Edinburgh Futures Institute.
The panel is looking for interdisciplinary research questions that are risky, challenge existing theoretical and methodological paradigms, and have the potential to contribute to social transformations.
- The judging panel will make the final funding decisions by the 5th April 2019.
- Award recipients have to document all expenditures.
- Funding has to be spent by the end of the financial year 2018/2019 [31 July]
- All expenditure must comply with University policy and procedures.
- Recipients have to agree to provide a write up, suitable for appearing on the EFI website, that documents their project and what they did with the award by October 2019.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply?
Please download the EFI Research Awards 2019 Application Guidelines [Word doc]
Please download and complete the EFI Research Awards 2019 Application Form [Word doc]
Email your completed form to EFI@ed.ac.uk